Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Some Word Usage For Ya...

All righty, then. I am going to begin a little series on word usage, which is an issue I come across often with my editing. I will keep this going with new words regularily, so keep checking back. Don't forget--this is based on the house style I employ. Your publisher may wish you to use their house style, which you should always do.

1. About or approximately. Try to use about. Approximately is usually for the sciences, such as: "Approximately fifteen expressions can be identified from the equation."

2. Adequate; sufficient; enough. Adequate when referring to the suitability of something in a specific situation: "He gave an adequate response to the question." Sufficient when referring to an amount: "He provided sufficient information" or "There is sufficient wine for the party." Enough modifies mass nouns: "there is enough air to breath" or count nouns: "There are enough nails to finish the project."

3. Affect or effect. Usually a verb, affect means to influence or have an effect on: "Her argument affected his decision." Effect is usually a noun and refers to an outcome or result: "Her argument had no effect." Effect can also function as a verb meaning to produce or make happen: "She wanted to effect a change in his decision."

4.All right is two words, not alright.

5. Anxious means "worried, distressed." Do not use it to say eager, which means "having keen desire or longing."

6. Anywhere or any place. Anywhere is general: "Those kids could be anywhere." Any place is more focused when you mean "any location": "They looked for any place to hide." Don't use anyplace.

7. As far as. Too many words. Compare as far as love is concerned, we all want it with as for love, we all want it.

8. As to. Only at the beginning of a sentence: "As to the letter, he knew exactly where it came from." Other wise use about: "He gave an answer about where the letter came from."

9. As yet or as of yet. Too formal and redundant: "She has not arrived as of yet." Try yet, still, or so far: "She still has not arrived" or "She has not arrived yet."

10. Awhile or a while. Chicago Manual of Style, fifteenth edition says: "The one-word version is adverbial {let's stop here awhile}. The two-word version is a noun phrase that follows the preposition for or in {she worked for a while before beginning graduate studies}."

I hope this helps. More to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the English lesson!

Frau Zappadong
(before I write more, I'd like to check if my comment will be eaten by your cruel system - like yesterday's comment, which was much longer)

Word Doctor said...

Zap,
I wondered why I hadn't heard from you in a while. I am sorry if this system is giving you a difficult time--I don't know what the deal is. Please keep trying to post, as I alwyas enjoy seeing you have visited.

I think I have found a giant coffee cup for ya, but you're going to have to come over and use it!

Hope all is well.
-Doc

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!

-Your eldest.

Word Doctor said...

Hey, anonymous. Hope all is well up there in elderly land.

-Doc

Anonymous said...

quite helpful, yes.