Friday, January 19, 2007

Keep Your Novel Out of the Toilet


I just received a couple of books from a friend of mine in the biz. She is in the "real world" of publishing, and we have had some hefty debates regarding authors who self-publish versus the traditional route of submitting for a publishing contract. She will send me self-published (or vanity press) books she comes across to support her argument that most self-published books are total crap.

Though I don’t agree with her position (after all, ninety percent of my business is editing for independent authors), after I read the stuff she sends me I immediately send back an e-mail saying, “touché.” It becomes clear after just a few chapters that these authors are totally inexperienced and probably did not use an editor either (shame on you!).

My friend’s biggest beef is that an author will send her a self-published “novel” as some sort of testimony that he or she knows what they’re doing. Like somehow having an actual pressed book puts him or her into the big leagues, and my friend should offer the author a contract immediately.

It really does make me sad in that the amount of money a person will spend to have a book manufactured is alarming. These authors will have to sell a ton of books off of their websites, through their blogs, or out of the trunks of their cars just to break even. It makes me ill when I look at the prices (and stealing of publishing rights) some of these publishing houses charge.

I am all for independent literature. Of any kind. There are some legitimate print-on-demand companies out there that charge reasonable prices for an author to print a book. But the point my friend and I do agree on is this: TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR MANUSCRIPT PERFECT! And I mean perfect. Draft, draft, and re-draft. Then find a good editor (like me!) who will go through your ms and make you do another draft. Listen to your editor’s advice. You may not like it, but chances are he or she is right. It’s not about robbing your story from you…it’s about making it readable to the largest audience possible. That’s how you will sell books, my friend.

The thing that will kill the independent literature movement is the continuation of work flooding into the market that is just shit. Like when your toilet gets backed up—because someone tried to flush a book down it—talk about a mess. The authors who have taken the time to make their writing shine can’t get to the market because of the backup of material that has no business being out there. Get what I’m saying? Think about your fellow authors as allies, not competition. The more quality independent writing that becomes available, the better the opportunities will be for everyone.

I have spoken with my friend a few times about starting our own publishing company. She likes the idea, and knows there are enough independent editors out there like me who can help create some awesome stuff. But from where she is sitting, she can see the time is still not right. There are just not enough hours in the day to pick through the crap in order to find the diamonds.

Don’t be lazy, writers. Take the time to make every word count. Take advice when it is given, and stop being so damn defensive. Find an editor, and build a working relationship with him or her. And for the love of (your deity here), don’t self-publish until you know your stuff is as good as anything on the bookstore best-seller shelf. And that doesn’t mean taking the word of your family or friends (unless they’re in the biz, of course).

Best of luck, and go write something wonderful.

16 comments:

Rinda Elliott said...

"The thing that will kill the independent literature movement is the continuation of work flooding into the market that is just shit. "

I believe this is why some E-Publishers still have trouble getting customers. In the beginning, there were so, so many horrible books epublished--it burned a lot of people. There are still awful books making it through, but the market has improved some.

And I can't agree more with this post. I've gone to a local, smaller conference for the last ten years and I've watched people finally cave and spend the money to self-publish and I'm amazed when I get my hands on a copy. Some of them have been good, but some were so bad, I knew instantly why they never sold.

The sad thing is, some people cannot see they aren't ready. I've critiqued and judged and seen people with raw talent who just aren't willing to do that important drafting and when you do try to help, oh man. It can get ugly.

Word Doctor said...

Rinda,

Thanks for stopping by. I bet you run into this as well. I loved your comment:

and when you do try to help,
oh man. It can get ugly.

I would love to hear more from you on the topic, as you seem to be wearing the hat of writer and editor. I had to come to the realization that my writing is fecal matter. I just can't turn off my editor-radar and let the juices flow. How do you do it?

-Doc

Rinda Elliott said...

Funny thing is, I work well as an editor with work from other writers. I can look at their flow and figure out what's wrong. It's the telling them that isn't always welcome. And I'm not always good at this either. Depends on the writer, I suppose.

I'm too close to my own work to properly turn off that internal editor, so I have a kick-ass critique partner who treats my work as if it's her own.

Every now and then, I can look at my work from another perpective, but quite a bit of time I share that image of fecal matter. It's like I 'know' I can be better, but get frustrated at how difficult better can be.

I have these shirts in my dark snark section of the store about sacrificing my internal editor in a ceremonial fire. To be honest, I wear that shirt a lot when I'm writing. (g)

Oh, I have found that listening to loud music helps me let the words flow. Or maybe I'm just muffling that infernal editor...

Anonymous said...

I'm an author who publishes with quite a big publisher and at the same time runs - together with other authors - a little publishing company. That might sound quite schizophrenic, especially as the people who run the company don't publish their books there :-)

Why are we doing it? First of all for a very selfish reason: We want to publish what we would like to read - good writing, good stories. Secondly, we think (I might have to change this to past tense) that there are really good writers "out there" who just haven't been lucky enough to find a publisher. Thirdly, we are probably missionaries of an own kind - book missionaries. And last but not least, we are nuts.

We set up the company a year ago - and still haven't got a book published. Reason? 90 % of what we are getting is total crap and it's no wonder have these authors not found a publisher for their books. Some of the writing is promising, but would need working on. So far, there has only been one author, who was ready and prepared to work together with us, have his book edited by us (we edit free of charge). The others have gone for other small publishing companies who print more or less anything just to have a book programme.

The one author who worked closely with us, will very likely be the first one to have his book out in our company. Yodel!

So, before setting up your own publishing company, rethink.
At the moment - and probably for quite a while, my collegues and I are working for free. But then, we don't have to live on the money our publishing company is (not) making.

Zappadong

Word Doctor said...

Rinda,

I can totally relate. I agree with your observation about working with someone else's ms. I can go to fucking town, and honestly turn out a much better story than I could have written on my own. I have seriously considered finding someone to co-author a book with, as I know it would turn out great.

I do the loud music thing too, especially when I am editing. I am a sucker for old Van Halen, AC/DC, Alice 'n Chains...anything that is in your face. I'm not hard core like you, though...the Korn and Limp Bizkit(s) stay in the cupboard.

Thanks for another great post.

-Doc

Word Doctor said...

Hey, Zap...long time, no "see." Love your post. It's nice to know that people around the world are dealing with this issue also.

Hey, at least you had the balls to start the company! That's half the battle in finding success...starting. I know with your writing skills that you guys will find that next outstanding author and off you'll go.

Thanks for your great post, and I hope things are going well for you in the Alps.

-Doc

Rinda Elliott said...

Well, I wouldn't consider myself hard core-- not always. (g) And I have to say I prefer Alice in Chains over Korn any day. I loved them and found it hearbreaking to watch their downward slide with drugs.

I don't have any Limp Bizkit. The hubby and I own just about every ACDC cd, too. Oh, I'm a child of the eighties, so Van Halen rocked my world.

I'm pretty well-rounded musically-- thank goodness-- I can't imagine listening to only one king.

But most of the time when I write, I play loud post rock instrumental stuff like Mogwai, The Hungry Ghosts and the softer ones like Murcof and Brookhaven. Words can distract me.

Rinda Elliott said...

Only one king. Hmmm... Sorry, my nine-year old is restless and was talking in my ear. :)

Word Doctor said...

Whew! For a minute there I thought Elvis had reincarnated as the singer in a metal band.

Anonymous said...

WHO ARE YOU CALLING DEFENSIVE!?!

Rinda Elliott said...

You know, Listening to One King might make an interesting story title...

Word Doctor said...

Rinda,

You are on to something there. Like a murder mystery where all these Elvis impersonators start putting out entire CD's of the King's music, and begin killing each other so people on Myspace.com or some other indy-music place will only buy their music. The real King has come back to life as the singer in a hard-core metal band, and is sickened by the low quality of "his" music being produced and decides to take matters into his own hands. "There is one King, and one King only" sort of thing.

Word Doctor said...

Crys,

Whomever the shoe fits, my dear. And I know that it doesn't fit yours.

Word Doctor said...

I.H.F.
Thanks for stopping by. I agree with your comment, but I think the first issue a writer must face is not looking at editing as a "criticism." I will say, however, that I have peers who need to take a crash course in being tactful because they are of a critical nature.

I would be more than happy to de-shit your shit when you are ready. My pic comes from dealing with defensive writers who seem to think they know more than I do concerning editing. It makes me angry (and drink too much). The big bucks come from truly knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Word Doctor said...

Ha! I love it, I.H.F...

When you said, "and please don't think I'm being critical" I am sure there was no pun intended.

I agree with the definition you posted regarding criticism, thus the careful placement of double qutation marks around the word (can't fool us ol' grammar geeks).

Thank you for being right. That means I can continue my pursuit of being left. Get it?

Word Doctor said...

Correction: "quotation" not "qutation."