Sunday, January 7, 2007

Solving the "Period, Comma, and Quotation Marks" Mystery


I think it's time I give a little "pep talk" on some style issues before I go off on someone. These are the corrections that take up WAY too much time, folks. As a disclaimer to any and all who wish to challenge me, I use the Chicago Manual of Style (fifteenth edition) as my style standard, unless a different style is requested by a publisher (which has not happened to me in my entire career).

Chicago Manual of Style says:

"Periods and commas precede closing quotation marks, whether double or single."

CMS goes on to quote the revered Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White:

"'Typographical usage dictates that the comma be inside the [quotation] marks, though logically it often seems not to belong there."'

The next sentence in CMS says, "The same goes for the period."

If an author's subject matter or scholarly integrity is being compromised, the "British style" or rephrasing may be in order. Look it up.

Other punctuation, such as question marks, exclamation points, etc., depend on the meaning. For example:

"What time do you have?"

Whas it Kennedy who said, "Ask not what your country can do for you..."?

He asked me for my "license and registration"; I have neither a license nor do I own a car.

"Watch out, dumb ass!"

Bottom line: Follow the house style of your publisher. If there is none available, ask your editor about the opportunity (you do have an editor, right?). But whatever you do, pick ONE STYLE and stay with it through the ENTIRE manuscript (see An Editor's Irony below).

There. I feel a little better. Now, where's that bottle of Jack?

8 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

What is it about people from Seattle that makes them want to read all the time and drink coffee and Jack?

I mean, the rain would be the first guess...

Scott from Oregon said...

So before I lay me down to sleep, I ha this one incessant and inflamed question for the "book editor" at large...


Why ANGRY?

Why not "oversexed"?

or "pungent"?

or "big-thighed"?

Ink Wiring Mimes want to know!

Word Doctor said...

Well, for me, it's being a Chinook Indian. We tend to over indulge in our blisses. I think the Jack, though, is from dealing with manuscripts that have been thrown together without any direction or purpose. Those are the tough ones.

What is it with people from Oregon who...what the hell do you guys do in Oregon, anyway?

Word Doctor said...

Big Thighed? WTF? Don't go psycho on me, Scott from Oregon.

Anonymous said...

GRRRR... and where has my endless comment on German punctuation and spelling gone. Sent it twice. Doc, does your blog EAT words?

Zappadong

Word Doctor said...

Hey, Zap. Hope your weekend was great. I don't see your post here...I did turn of the moderation control so posts could go right on here, though. If you don't mind, try sending it again. I would love to read it.

Scott from Oregon said...

I was just tossing out descriptors that weren't hackneyed like "angry"...

I figured an arty farty type like yourself would see where I was going with my statement...

Why angry?

Why not dispassionate? Vengeful? Corrupt? Oppressive? Flamboyant? etc... and stuff...

Word Doctor said...

Oppressive...hhhmmmm...kinda like that one!