Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Finding Your Voice, and How to Use It!


Okay, here is another lesson for you writers out there to keep me from kicking your asses!

"Voice" is probably the most difficult aspect of fiction writing (or any writing, for that matter) to keep a handle on, yet it is the first irregularity that will have your readers putting your novel in their "maybe read later" pile.

All authors want to have a distinct, authoritative voice when they write. But it ain't something you can run to an editor for, TRUST ME! The trick is to write "like yourself" without thinking about what "yourself" sounds like. WTF, you say? Read on, my disciple.

Voice is something that separates the "Pros" from the "Week-end warriors" in regards to writing. I remember reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and commenting to myself more than once, "This dude has a serious voice going on!" That novel from page one to the last keeps its readers in exactly the same position as far as "listening" is concerned. After the first few paragraphs, the tone (look it up) is set, and Brown is one of the few I have read in a while who keeps it consistent until his story's conclusion.

Why is Voice important? Because it determines the way your words "sound" on the page when someone "listens" to your writing. For example, I tried to write in a somewhat lofty tone when I first decided to pursue this gig. I thought that a novelist must find all these fancy-ass words to use, or no one would even care. I quickly learned, however, that I couldn't write that way because I wasn't familiar with the "sound" of that kind of communication. I'm a damn biker who grew up on a cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere, for christ's sake! I sure as hell wasn't going to churn out a bit of "James Joyce" anytime soon!

I have found the best way to develop your voice is to self edit. Yes, that means you are taking money from my pocket, but I don't give a damn. I am tired of working on manuscripts that read/sound like ten people authored the thing. Think about it. If you were reading a novel and you suddenly found yourself flipping back a chapter or two to make sure you didn't "miss something," wouldn't that piss you off?

Two-thirds of the reason I read a novel to begin with is to find out what someone else has to say in this crazy world. Fiction is a great place to voice opinions and convictions without dealing with a bunch of bullshit and backlash (except for the critics...). But if I am going to take the time out of my schedule to crack your book, you had better not trick me or I am going to find you and thump your ass!

Practice, edit, practice, edit, practice, edit, practice, edit...get the picture?

Any aspiring (and published, for that matter) author sould read every Dr. Suess book they can find, and "listen" to his voice. Oh, the places you'll go! Oh, the political messages you will hide! Oh, the McCarthyism you narrowly escaped!

13 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

I agree with what you just said except for the part about that Dan guy...

Sure his voice was consistent. Absolutley, But he had such a peestrian rythm in his writing thatI felt like I was reading every other Airport/Mystery/Suspense/Check Out Counter novel.

His STORY was compelling. But his voice-- though easy to read-- made me yawn.

Luc2 said...

Hi Doc,

This is interesting stuff. I understand the importance of voice, and thus of self-editing. I post my chapter on the website of a critique group, and I've learned a lot from the critiques I got, but also from critiques I gave others. If I look at my current chapters, the voice has changed significantly from the first 3 chapters. I'll need to work on that.
Thanks!

Word Doctor said...

Scott, I agree with you. I didn't particularly care for the novel, but I have to give Brown (and his editor!) props for a well-written story. Not the most interesting, but well written.

Luc2, that's how you find your voice, my friend...just don't let someone else determine what that is going to be. Practice, edit, practice, edit.....

Blogless Troll said...

I agree with the Oregonian, but I would also say that Brown cheated quite a bit to create the suspense. I don't know how many times the POV character learned something new and Brown withheld that info from the reader, but toward the end it got annoying. That's part of the reason the movie sucked, because that type of manipulation is hard to do when you can see everything.

Great post, Doc. NOBODY ever talks about this. Gotta go now. I hear the Hakken-Kraks howling.

Rinda Elliott said...

I tend to write stilted in first drafts. I print the pages and something about physically seeing them on paper helps me to edit and put my voice in the piece.

Only took me about ten years to figure that out.

Word Doctor said...

BT,

HA! A fellow Seusser! Very cool.

I also agree with you. I do think Brown played too much with his audience, but I find that it is (for the most part) literary cats like us who really don't like the book or the movie. The average (book-buying, ticket-purchasing) person seemed to love it. Go figure.

Glad you liked the post. I have more brewing right now, so keep checkin' back. Hope all is well.

Word Doctor said...

Rinda, nice to "see" you! I am the same...something about that old-school method of having a hard copy to scribble on. If I am doing major edits, I will always work a hard copy first, then go to the notebook.

Ten years? That's it? Your way ahead of the curve, Hon.

Having a little "Korn" with your steaks tonight? ;)

Rinda Elliott said...

Nah. I think you put me in the mood for blues... to go with the pork loin.

Oh, I've been writing longer than ten years unfortunately. Finished my first book at 21. I just took a long break before deciding my skin was thick enough to give it another go.

Anonymous said...

Dear Doctor,
I agree with you totally.
One book with a consistent voice is ABSURDISTAN by Gary Shteyngart.I just completed it and gave it to my husband to read. He is still laughing.
This author can write! He is a genius. He didn't drop his voice once in this masterpiece.
The sad part of this entire book is his book barely sat on the shelves. Most of you are saying who is he? What is Absurdistan?
My point EXACTLY! The man is well known and his book is already history. A flash in the publishers pan. Because? The publishers are too cheap to promote it. It scares me.
Thanks for listening and thanks for a great site with great knowledge.
Anonymous 2.

Scott from Oregon said...

Who was the author that wrote "The Saddest Summer Of Samuel S.?"

Oh, yeah. J. P. Donleavy....

Irish cat...

Now THERE was a unique set of spankings....

Scott from Oregon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Word Doctor said...

Scott,

I will have to check that out...always into unique spankings. Hey, just so you know, your second comment was deleted 'cause it was a dupe of the first one. No censhorship here.

Word Doctor said...

correction: Censorship...god, I need to use the preview feature!