Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Some More Word Usage For Ya


Here's the next post in my word usage series. Again, these are taken directly from my style sheets, and are words I come across almost every day.

1. Basis. Its meaning is foundation, and is used too much. Try rewording: "On a personal basis, I find this offensive" to "Personally, I find this offensive" or on a daily basis to daily.

2. Between; among; amid. Between for one-to-one relationships: "Between me and my mother." Among is for undefined relationships: "Evil among the children." Amid is used with mass nouns: "Amid the desire for peace." Try not to use amongst or amidst.

3. Bi; semi. bi means "two" as in: "The magazine comes bimonthly" (every two months). Semi means "half" as in: "They are having the second semiannual sale" (twice a year).

4. Bring; take. Don't be fooled by this common mistake. If the action is towards your character, use bring: "Johnny, bring your car over so I can look at it." If the action is away, use take: "Johnny, take your car to the shop for Hal to look at."

5. But. But can start a contrasting sentence, though many writers disagree. It is preferred to however: "But only those who have seen the ghost believe it is real."

Short one today. More to come. Go be productive.

No comments: